Breastfeeding Awareness Month - Weaning with Love

Breastfeeding Awareness Month is here! As I found via the Blogging Mama's Network, A Mama Collective is hosting a link-up for the occasion. For my Breastfeeding Awareness Month post, I know I could go on and on about the benefits and other wonderful reasons to breastfeed. Instead, I wrote a little something dedicated to my (currently weaning) son, because I chose to breastfeed out of love for him.



When you were new it was all you needed. It was your comfort, your safe place when everything else was hazey. You kept me up at night for it, but there was no one else I'd rather stay up with. It helped you grow, and you learned to play. But it was always there when you needed to take a break. You even learned to eat the food that I eat. But it was still your favorite. When my milk dried up, you weren't at all upset. You happily took your sippy cup instead. You became independent so quickly. It was so bittersweet, but I was proud of you. We've shared this for 13 months, love. I wanted you to have it until you were ready to let go. Now, you only need it on those rare nights when you can't fall asleep. It seems as if I've accomplished my goal. It may be over soon, and I'll miss it in the days to come. However, nothing will ever erase these memories of our special bond.



It hits a really tender spot, knowing your time breastfeeding your baby, who is actually now a... toddler , is almost up. But I'm thankful we're weaning in a natural and effortless way. Of course, I do have a newborn to look forward to breastfeeding in December. She'll be here in 18-20 weeks! My son couldn't have weaned under better circumstances. Thanks for reading, and feel free to link-up by clicking the button below.



Update: I also just found this other Breastfeeding Awareness Month Link-up. Share your breastfeeding stories! There are some great posts to read, as well.

Hearts divider credited to Ennyri.



13 comments:

  1. It sounds like you had a good experience, and I'm glad that weaning went well..I think it is usually harder for the mama than the child :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It does seem harder for me. I thought it would be the other way around!

      Delete
  2. I had a difficult time weaning my first son when I was pregnant. Finally two weeks before I gave birth we had him weaned. It is difficult but he was 18 months old so I felt great he had been able to nurse for so long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You made it pretty far! That's something to be proud of :)

      Delete
  3. I wish I'd written something when my baby girl weaned. We went to 15 months and then she self-weaned while I was pregnant. It was...bittersweet. I had hated the first few months of nursing, but it got easier and better, and eventually it was "mommy and baby time." I was sad to see it go :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You took the words right out of my mouth. It really is something I'm going to miss :(

      Delete
  4. I loved your story - a beautiful one to share with everyone. I know you will treasure the fact that you sat down to write down your thoughts and feelings on this precious time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought of writing it down to remember it by, but now that you mention it, it would be a really sweet thing to be able to look back on. I might have to print it and stick it in a baby album :)

      Delete
  5. So sweet! What a beautiful bond to remember and sounds like you will making new beautiful bonds soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I weaned mine at 22½ months and it was a natural progression. I just stopped offering and when I was no longer offering, he was no longer asking. While I was ready to be done, it is a bond that I miss sometimes.

    ReplyDelete